LESSON PLAN – LEVEL 1
The major thing is to just do lots of work. Review it. Kill it. And then make better work. We won’t spend a ton of time lecturing like a prof would. You’ll learn by doing and re-doing. Again and again, until it’s perfect.
EVERY THURSDAY FOR 10 WEEKS STARTING FEBRUARY 5th, 2015.
– WEEK 1 -
BAD ADS vs GOOD ADS
- What does a portfolio look like?
- What are good ads and what are bad ads?
- Strategy versus execution.
- Starting points for coming up with a good ad.
- Cultural tension, what is it?
- Show everyone your work, to see where you are.
Assignment one: Come up with 10 Ideas that would get one million views.
– WEEK 2 -
HOW TO PITCH
- What to bring to a pitch.
- How to present a strategy, an idea and an execution.
- How to sell by working collaboratively.
- "It’s not personal" – how to kill work.
- Say yes, not no.
- Present assignment one for review.
Assignment two: No brands, just creativity.
– WEEK 3 -
- Borrowed interest versus being relevant.
- Going viral.
- Why your idea sucks.
- Present assignment two for review.
Assignment three: Another 10 ideas that will get international press.
– WEEK 4 -
- How to steal execution ideas like the pros.
- Short cuts to save you time and make you look 10 years deep in the game.
- Are you really an art director? Or are you writer? Maybe even a strategist? How to choose.
- Killing your babies.
- Present assignment three for review.
Assignment four: Execute 3 of your ideas that survived.
– WEEK 5 -
- How to work with brands.
- Get briefed on a real brand or one of your choosing.
- Present assignment four's finished executions.
Assignment five: Develop a brand strategy and idea.
– WEEK 6 -
- Pitch and ditch.
- We get down and dirty with your ideas.
- Everyone helps you make it better.
- Wall of fame and wall of shame.
- Present assignment five.
Assignment six: Create 3 one-page business pitches.
– WEEK 7 -
RECRUITERS, HEAD HUNTERS & HOW TO SOCIALIZE
- Best practices with job searching.
- Why a recruiter will hate your book or love it. And when you should care.
- How to party and make connections without scaring people, or getting shit faced and making an ass of yourself.
- Present assignment six.
Assignment six: The award show brief.
– WEEK 8 -
GETTING YOUR GREAT IDEAS DONE
- Review the ideas you have so far.
- Figure out a plan for what you have to get done.
- Tips, tricks and answering any questions.
– WEEK 9 -
- How much should you get paid?
- What to expect the first few weeks on the job.
- Your portfolio should never stop. Always improve. Forever.
- Review of work.
– WEEK 10 -
THIS IS THE END
- We review everyone’s books.
- What you’ve got and where you still need work.
- Are you ready to be connected with recruiters?
- What is missing from your portfolio still?
- We pop a couple of bottles of cheap sparkling wine.